With the intense impact of dry conditions, the National Water Commission (NWC) is moving to impose water restrictions in all areas served by drought-affected supply systems.
The restrictions will fall under what is called a prohibition order, which will take effect on July 9 and remain until further notice.
According to the NWC, the offences that are to be punishable by a fine imposed by the parish courts after conviction or, for failing to pay the fine, imprisonment for up to 30 days are:
- Watering of gardens, lawns, grounds, and farms.
- Refilling of tanks, ponds, or swimming pools and/or for use other than normal domestic services.
- Washing of vehicles by the use of a hose.
- Watering or washing roadways, pavements, paths, garages.
- Any purpose which may require the use of a considerable or excessive quantity of water.