An official funeral service will be done for Labour and Social Security Minister Shahine Robinson who passed away on May 29, after battling cancer.
The Office of the Prime Minister, in a statement late Tuesday, June 9, confirmed the official funeral and noted that it will be announced at a later date.
Until then, the Andrew Holness led Cabinet has approved what is being called ‘a
period of mourning’ it will begin on Wednesday, June 10 and will end on Tuesday, June 16.
The activities for the six-day period include :a
1. Three days of closed-casket public viewing in keeping with the wishes of the family:
* Thursday, June 11 – 10:00 am to 2:00 pm at the St Ann Parish Church, St Ann’s Bay.
* Friday, June 12 – 10:00 am to 2:00 pm at the St John’s Anglican Church Hall, Ocho Rios, St Ann.
* Tuesday, June 16 – 10:00 am to 3:00 pm at the Jamaica Labour Party Headquarters at Belmont Road.
2. Opening of condolence books.
* Parliament – Members of the House of Representatives and the Senate
* Office of the Prime Minister – Cabinet Members and Public Officials
* Ministry of Labour and Social Security – Ministry staff and the general public.
3. A special sitting of the House of Representatives
* On Wednesday, June 10 Members of Parliament will pay tribute to the late Cabinet Minister.
Up to the time of her death, Robinson served the constituency of St Ann North East for 19 years as the member of Parliament, which allowed her to serve Jamaica in several positions in Government as Minister of State in the Office of the Prime Minister with responsibility for Local Government in 2007 and Minister of State in the Ministry of Transport and Works in 2011.
She died at age 66.