The Ministry of Transport and Mining has issued a formal statement regarding concerns over the status of the JISCO/ALPART operations. The Ministry said it has taken note of the concerns in the media.
“The Ministry believes the situation deserves urgent attention and has been in dialogue with our partners to discuss the available options at this time. The negotiations are at a delicate stage and as such details of the discussions cannot be divulged at this time,” a Ministry release said.
The Ministry asked that in the interest of the ongoing negotiations “persons cease and desist from speculation at this time which will only seek to destabilize the situation.”
Yesterday, Wednesday, August 14, it was revealed that Minister of Mining Robert Montague and top officials had been meeting with the chairman of JISCO/Alpart. There are reports the Chinese owners are reconsidering levels of investment and production at Jamaica’s largest alumina refinery.
The Ministry statement said it was “aware of the value of the investment and has taken proactive steps to ensure that the welfare of the workers and the livelihood of the community are duly protected.”