Montague Says Transport Ministry Has Done Its Part To Ensure Smooth Start To School Year

 

 

Minister of Transport and Mining, Robert Montague says his Ministry has done its part to ensure a smooth start to the school year.

 

The Ministry’s statement Monday afternoon, September 2, was its first response to calls by taxi operators last week for a fare increase in the absence of which they said they would go on strike. Some taxi operators withdrew their services across the country Monday morning, forcing commuters and many school children to find other ways to go about their business and get to school.

 

The Ministry said the Jamaica Urban Transit Company (JUTC) has rolled out four hundred and twenty-one (421) buses this morning September 2, with an additional fifteen (15) to be added as soon as a container of parts clears customs.

 

It said the Montego Bay Metro service has rolled out eleven (11) buses up from their normal rotation of five (5) and the Goodwill route in Eastern St. James was also restarted and has been well received by the public.

 

Also, the Ministry said, “in an effort to ensure public order is maintained the Transport Authority has mobilized increased route inspectors who are placed strategically across the island.”

 

The Ministry commended the operators who did not yield to calls for them to go on strike.

The statement from the Ministry did not mention the taxi associations or spokesmen who called for the strike, only condemning the call by the Opposition Spokesman on Transport Mikael Phillips.

 

 

Franklin McKnight

No comments

Leave a reply

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *

CAPTCHA *