School Feeding Programme Doing Well – Ruel Reid


Minister of Education, Youth and Information, Senator Ruel Reid, says the national school feeding programme is progressing satisfactorily.

Speaking at a post-Cabinet press briefing at Jamaica House, Wednesday, September 26, the Minister said Government has provided a substantial amount of resources to the programme.

“When the Government came into power (in 2016), one of the first things that we did was to increase the school-feeding budget by 47 per cent, so we are now up to $4.7 billion for the allocation for the Programme of Advancement through Health and Education (PATH),” he said.

Senator Reid said that, so far, 98 per cent of schools have their own canteens.

He also disclosed that the Government is paying approximately 1,007 cooks to ensure that students are provided with “cooked, very balanced and nutritious meals, rather than relying on baked products coming out of Nutrition Products Limited (NPL)”.

The Minister said that for the schools without their own canteens, the Ministry is now seeking to ensure that NPL provides support for them.

Senator Reid said as far as the Ministry is concerned, the programme is moving in the right direction and urged school administrators to communicate with regional offices to update the Ministry on issues that may arise.

By Franklin McKnight

No comments

Leave a reply

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *

CAPTCHA *